Location Idea: Au Pied du Cochon

6:29 AM / Posted by Unknown /

    Some ideas are more just interesting locations, or at least start that way.  I have a whole list of cool locations written down.  Some are close to home and therefore I really should use.  Some are in countries I had visited and I write down in the pipe dream that some day someone will commission me for a fashion shoot that allows me to return their on their dime.

    I forget why I thought of Au Pied du Cochon, a grand yet accessible Parisian restaurant.  The colors in this editorial (by Jem Mitchell for Flair) may have reminded me of the burgundy leather, golden lights, and rich tones of Au Pied du Cochon.  Or I may have just been thinking of places I would like to visit before I move home from Belgium (1:45 to Paris by train!).  The setting is decadent and rich with bowtied waitstaff (mostly career old men).  Open 24 hours, casual locals, underdressed tourists, trendy young and fancy old come through creating all kinds of scenes.  The Paris restaurant look is certainly nothing new in fashion photography (see Madonna by Steven Meisel for Louis Vuitton, though admittedly shot in LA) but my idea notebook isn't always about innovation, in fact it usually isn't.  Its about starting places, cool locations and things that interest me.

   But until Louis Vuitton decides Steven Meisel is old hat and they decide to fly me back to Paris to shoot their next campaign at Au Pied du Cochon, I probably won't be shooting there.  Plus, I'll be back in Seattle in one month and that made me wonder if anywhere has a similar atmosphere in my hometown.  Well, of course not.  But 13 Coins certainly has the feeling of a "dark poor business man wanna be gangster, spend your travel per diem here on a fat steak while not comprehending this is not a fancy restaurant".  Its like if Black Angus flew someone to Au Pied du Cochon to steal their style on the cheap and they ended up watching the whole Godfather series on the flight home.  Super high back leather booths, bowtied waitstaff, black and red leather.  Tell me that doesn't make for an OK location for a fashion shoot.  Ready for the OSPS idea journal:

"Locations: Au Pied du Cochon in Paris (decadent, a lot touristy but a lot french local. elegant yet almost cheesy)"
"Locations: 13 Coins in Seattle (over the top wannabe gangster, lonely business man, leather high backed booths)"
-Tuffer

Music to Shoot By: La Bien, La Mal (MC Solaar and Guru on Jazzmatazz album).  A little hip hop for the updated gangsta feel but keepin it cooled out french bistro feel with the jazz flow and of course MC Solaar's french flow.

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment