Photo Shoot Idea: Winter Coats

8:47 AM / Posted by Unknown /

    Ok, since this is my first idea post, I will talk through my process a little in regards to coming up with what I write down.

    I was just going through a post at TheFashionisto.com and the new fall coat collection from Topman caught my eye.  I had two thoughts.  1)  I have become obsessed this season with finding a classic yet edgy beige trench coat for myself. Unfortunately, I didn't see one here; and 2) "Fall Coats" is a good foundation to base a fashion editorial on.

    Now sometimes, this is enough.  I would just write "Fall Coats" in my idea notebook.  Maybe I would add some descriptors, because really I'm picturing longer jackets for women, medium thickness with some edge in the color or texture.  So it may look like this "Fall Coats, women's, longer medium thick with some cool edgy textures or color".  But with a little more thinkin' time on my hands (like, say, I'm riding the metro) I will start building on that.

    Juxtaposition is always a good first start.  So... fall coats at the beach on a sunny day.  But I don't like the feeling of heavy coats under all that sun, at least for fashion editorial.  It doesn't make the viewer want to buy coats, as they would subconciously feel too warm in that scene which would translate to a conscious discomfort with the clothes.  How about making the beach gray, overcast, and windy? (An easy jump for me living in Seattle and Belgium)  I like it but did I lose the juxtaposition and edge?  I can bring that back with a little humor by putting in people laying out, kids building sandcastles, sun umbrellas, maybe even someone out in the water.  But even though they are doing summer beach activities, they would also be dressed appropriately for the fall weather (though much more demurely than the model who would be high fashion).  I also think color is less important as I will use very low saturation or black and white to match the mood of the overcast day.

    And there you have it.  A mental note made while surfing my usual blogs.  Then 10 minutes of brainstorming while walking from the metro to fill in the big strokes.  Ready for the notebook, OSPS style:

fashion editorial: long women's fall coats on a gray overcast windy beach.  scenes of summer (sandcastles, laying out on towels, umbrellas) in the background but all dressed for fall. frame full beach scenes but model prominently in front, slightly set apart from scene.  texture in coats to contrast with sand texture.  maybe b&w or low saturation.

-Tuffer

Music to shoot this by: Standing on a Beach/Staring at the Sea (The Cure).  The name and the mood of the cover photo obviously brought it to mind but the music is also the right feeling of meloncholy for the windy fall day but upbeat enough to get good energy at the shoot.

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment