Styling Idea: Monochrome patterns

7:59 AM / Posted by Unknown /

    I caught this post the other day on Thefashionisto.com (a not infrequent source of ideas, as you'll likely see on this blog). Its a preview of the McQ line by Alexander McQueen and in the 6th picture, there is a shirt paired with a scarf made out of the same patterned material.  It caught my eye because last year there was a trend of shirts being sold with skinny ties made out of matching material.  I never ended up buying one because I never found it in a price range that justified a shirt I knew would be dated in a season.  But I did like it. A lot.
    So when I saw the same idea again, I started thinking of translating it into a fashion shoot.  The trick on something like that is to keep it a theme but not make it gimmicky.  Or do you simply want to go over the top with it?  Brainstorm time.  Possible ideas:

  • Each outfit in the editorial is made out of a singular patterned fabric; 
  • The two pieces that match don't touch (like shoes and vest, or pants and hat) to break up the look); 
  • The fabric is used on the wall and one piece of clothing in the outfit matches the wall
  • Or maybe not always the wall, but different in each photo- table cloth, curtains, etc.
  • Maybe cover the whole room in a fabric, but not have any of the clothes match it.


    I'm not ready to commit to any ideas at this time though, so this is a time that I would keep the idea simple and short.  Maybe list some of the above thoughts after the inspiration.  Now into the OSPS idea journal:

"Exact matching patterned material, like in tie/shirt combo (maybe on walls or furniture? whole outfit? broken apart?)"

-Tuffer

MusicToShootBy: So Jealous (Tegan and Sara)  I'm not always sure why I pick the music I do.  Here I think it is mostly because I think their hair cuts would go so well with the look of matching patterns I'm imagining.  Plus the sing-songy indie pop almost punk would match the attitude I'd want in the shoot.

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment